Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Blog Numero uno (1)

The mission, written by Jason Myers, is about a young boy named Kaden Norris. Kaden's lived in the shadows of his older brother Kenny. His brother was a football star, a ladies man and a United States army soldier. Kaden was one not to complain about being always known as Kenny's younger brother. Kenny was his hero, and his best friend, he always taught him how to talk to girls or how to live life. Unfortunately, Kenny was killed in action, over seas in Iraq.
Kaden received a letter, that was written from Kenny before he died as if he has died. The letter explains what the war is really like, not how the the media and government portray it. It also explains about an author named Chuck Palahniuk, that Kenny finds reading is life changing. He advises Kaden to go to San Fransisco to visit his cousin James Morgan, who is also an author, and to listen to Chuck read one of his books.
Kaden decides to go to San Fransisco only to find that his cousin is nothing like he expected. First off his cousin is a major drug addict, drinks as much as often as he can and is almost never responsible. To start the trip Kaden was left at the airport, because James was getting his drug fix for the day, but he was picked up by James' very attractive girlfriend named Carlie. Carlie ends up taking care of Kaden for the most part of his first two days there, but Kaden doesn't mind. His experience so far has been all partying at concerts, old broken homes or apartments. James hasn't really been the greatest role model, by sleeping with other girls and always smoking and drinking but I think that there is something that James is hiding, and the way he is acting is just a cover.

If you were Kaden, and just had your brother die in war, would you travel to visit your cousin, who you know nothing about, to party and listen to an author do a reading? Or would you rather spend more time with your family?

8 comments:

  1. Mr. Andrew Frasco, this is a very good question, I might have to think about this for a while... If i were Kaden I would most likely spend time with my family for support not only for myself, but for them too. Of course I would feel the need to go to the unknown cousins house in honor of my brother, and I most likely would eventually go to the cousins house.
    This was a very well thought out question and I enjoyed answering it. I hope to hear from you in the future Mr.Frasco.
    Sincerely: Carmen Oppedisano

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Carmen.
    I believe that if I had just lost a brother at war, I would spend time with my family for support and comfort. I would want to make sure that everyone in my family was okay and make sure that I was comfortable. If the cousin has been unknown this long, waiting another month or so, won't affect the relationship and I'm sure he'll understand the situation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also agree, If you lose your brother in a war, the first thing you should do is try spending as much time as you can with your family. This would help everyone deal with the lose, and also knowing that everyone is altogether during the difficult time makes it alot less stressfull. As for the cousin I personally don't think he matters right now because if they don't even know eachother and he just lost a brother, i'm sure that spending time with your family is the better decision.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would also agree with you guys on this one. Comforting your family, knowing that your brother is at war and lost him would be the best thing for you to do. It would be a great time for you and your family to spend time talking about the memories everyone had with him. If the cousin knew, he should understand that something like this is more important and that he can wait a bit longer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with all of you because losing a love one is very hard to deal with and going to see your cousin, doesn't seem right at this time. The best thing at this time is to stay with your family and "support" and "comfort" them, like everyone else said, the best way you can. Even though I think that Kaden will take the worst from the dead because he looked up to his brother and he was his Hero.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If I had a brother die at war, I would spend my time with my family to bring us even closer and comfort each other. Not to mention that it would really disrespectful to go out and party while the other family members are mourning. Plus you would think of your brother the whole time and it would kill me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I would like to get away from all the saddness. I would want to move on and get away to try to get over what happened. To be honest thinks that what I would want to do, but I dont know if I could do it. The best place to be when your grieving is with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought I responded to this...I guess not! oops!
    I think if my brother sent me a message to go and see this cousin, then it would mean something to him. I'd do it to honour him, and my curiosity would get the better of me because I'd want to know why he wanted me to meet this cousin. Of course I'd spend some time with my family, especially during the funeral and grieving period. It's really important to have a support system around you when you deal with such tragedy.

    ReplyDelete